The Cambridge CELTA is the most widely recognised English teaching qualification in the world. It’s the qualification most often requested by employers; three out of four English language teaching jobs require a CELTA qualification. You can now choose to do your CELTA online or face to face!
The information on this page concerns the face to face CELTA course. If you are interested in our online CELTA course, please visit this page: CELTA Fully Online
This course is intended for:
- candidates who wish to start a teaching career in ELT and be able to teach anywhere in the world
- practising teachers who wish to refresh their knowledge and get a recognised qualification.
To be considered for the CELTA course, you must be:
- a proficient English language user (CEFR Level C2)
- educated to the standard required for entry into higher education
- aged 18+
This face to face course comprises 135 contact hours and an additional 80 hours of individual study.
Our forthcoming CELTA face to face course dates are:
- 5 June – 30 June 2023 (full-time)
every day, 10 am to 6 pm
- 3 July – 28 July 2023 (full-time)
every day, 10 am to 6 pm
- 7 August – 1 September 2023 (full-time)
every day, 10 am to 6 pm
For more dates, please check our CELTA online course information here.
The course aims to give you insight into the fundamentals of English Language Teaching, lesson planning, language analysis, classroom management, and materials selection and design. You will also get hands-on experience by teaching real English language learners and observing a variety of lessons by experienced teachers.
On a typical day on our intensive course, there will be input sessions and workshops in the morning, lesson preparation, teaching practice and feedback in the afternoon.
On part-time courses, input and teaching practice may be on different days of the week.
As an example, this is what the timetable looks like for the first two days of the second week of our face to face intensive course:
The course covers all of the topics in the CELTA syllabus:
Learners and teachers, and the teaching and learning context
- understanding the cultural and linguistic backgrounds of learners, and how this might affect their learning of English
- understanding different learning preferences
Language analysis and awareness
- understanding key terminology used in English language teaching
- applying this terminology in planning and teaching
- demonstrating a working knowledge of English grammar, lexis and phonology.
Language skills: reading, listening, speaking and writing
- understanding basic concepts and terminology used for describing reading, listening, speaking and writing skills
- applying this to teaching
- understanding how approaches to texts may vary depending on the purpose
- making practical use of this in teaching.
Planning and resources for different teaching contexts
- understanding the purpose and principles of planning for effective teaching
- selecting and planning the kinds of lessons that are most appropriate for particular learners
- evaluating lesson preparation and reflecting on this for planning future lessons.
Developing teaching skills and professionalism
- effectively organising the classroom, both in terms of layout and pair/group activities
- making appropriate use of a range of materials and resources
- involving learners of different ability levels, enabling them to feel a sense of progress
For more details of the CELTA Syllabus, please see here.
Assessment is continuous and integrated on the CELTA course. It is based on teaching practice and written assignments. This means you will be assessed teaching two groups of students for a total of six hours (360 minutes) during the course and you will also complete four short written assignments (750-1000 words each), which your tutors will mark. There is no written exam at the end.
Successful candidates will be awarded the Cambridge CELTA Certificate, issued by Cambridge Assessment English, as well as a detailed report on their progress and achievement.
The certificate that you will get is exactly the same, whether you have completed an online or a face to face course.
If you’ve made up your mind and wish to apply for this course, you need to:
- complete an application form
- complete a pre-interview task
- attend an interview with one of the course tutors.
Click below to download the application form; once you have completed it, please email it to email@example.com and we will get back to you the following day to make arrangements for the pre-interview task and interview.
The tuition fee for this course is €1,080.
There is an additional Cambridge assessment fee of €165.
For part-time courses, it is possible to pay in up to four instalments. You can pay your fees via bank trasfer, PayPal or with your credit/debit card.
Early Bird Discount: A €100 discount is available if you pay in full at least four weeks before the course starts.
Frequently asked questions
CELTA Face to Face FAQs
Is there an exam at the end of the CELTA?
No, there is no exam! The CELTA is a course-based award. Your assessment is continuous and integrated: it is based on your performance in the teaching practice and the written assignments that you complete during the course.
I have no teaching experience whatsoever. Is the CELTA the right course for me?
Yes, it is. The CELTA is intended as an entry-level professional qualification. It does not assume any previous knowledge of teaching methodology or any previous teaching experience. You do, however, need to have a very high level of English to be accepted on the course. At ACE TEFL we only accept candidates with a C2 level of English.
What happens in teaching practice sessions? Do we teach real students?
Yes, you do. You will be teaching students at two different levels, pre-intermediate and upper-intermediate. You will get the chance to practise teaching them on at least eight different occasions, so that you can plan and teach a variety of different types of lessons.
If you aren’t sure what type of course is most suitable for you or you’d like to discuss your options with one of our tutors, please fill in the form below or email us to schedule an online meeting or call us on +30 2112672499. We’d be happy to answer any questions you might have.