The Language Teacher Trainer Development course is intended for experienced teachers, who manage and are responsible for their colleagues’ continuous professional development and/or are pursuing a career in teacher training.
Experienced teachers, preferably with an MA in TESOL, TEFL or Applied Linguistics or a post-graduate Diploma level qualification such as the Cambridge DELTA, who are interested in training other teachers.
Duration and Schedule
The course lasts for 40 hours in total. The next available course dates are:
– February 25 to April 15 (once a week for 5 hours each time).
This is a synchronous online course to be run on Zoom. The course comprises 40 contact hours between the participants and the Lead Trainer. The design of this course is interactive and it includes lectures, demonstration sessions and workshop tasks.
The total fee for this course is €550. The fee incudes all materials and resources.
The course is an introduction to teacher training and aims to help experienced teachers design and deliver teacher training sessions and courses, observe other teachers and give supportive feedback and understand how to develop further as a trainer.
The following topics are covered:
The nature of training
– Goals of training
– Training vs. Development
– Different types of training
Analysing and Designing Training Sessions
– Aims and objectives of training sessions
– Components of a training session
– Research for training
– Different types of training input
– Different types of training task
– Training activities: combining input with task(s)
– Sequencing training activities
– Planning a training session
– Evaluating training sessions
Delivering Training Sessions
– Managing a training class
– Managing different types of trainees
– Training practice
– Feedback on training practice
Teacher observation and evaluation
– Observing Teachers
– Types of observation
– Observation techniques
– Observation schedules
– Planning feedback sessions
– Managing feedback
– Techniques for giving feedback
– Forms of written feedback
Training Course Design
– Course design principles
– Pre-service and in-service courses
– Designing courses for specific needs
– Trainer development opportunities
– Trainer development options
Assessment and certification
There are two assignments to be completed during the course:
– a training session plan to be submitted by participants
– a short, 20-minute microtraining session to be delivered by participants and observed by the trainer
Successsful participants will be awarded the ACE TEFL Language Teacher Trainer certificate.
To register for this course, you will need to complete an initial application form and attend an interview with the course tutor. Please click here.